Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flower Boy Ramen Shop


I finished Flower Boy Ramen Shop and I feel kind of meh about it.  It’s not that it was bad.  I don’t feel like I wasted my time watching it.  I just feel kind of like, “That’s all there is?”

It’s kind of like when you are really hungry and someone gives you a cookie.  The cookie is great, sure,  but you really want a solid meal.  Flower Boy Ramen Shop is that cookie. 

Spoilers after the jump...
 

I guess the heart of it is that I just don’t buy the main couple.  Even though there were moments of sizzling chemistry, I never really believed that they loved each other.  Lust, sure. Love, not so much. 

I mean, he’s in high school.  I just can’t get over that.  And high school in a rich boy, pampered kind of way that’s really unattractive.  Maybe if he had been more emotionally mature (still a jerk, I mean this is a k-drama after all) as well as appearing older, I would have bought it. 

As far as Eun-bi not going for Kang-hyuk, well the heart wants what the heart wants.  She never felt a real spark with him, so off the second lead goes.  But all the spark in the world doesn’t mean you love a teenager.  That's not to say that there aren't teenagers that can reach that level.  I think we've all known people who are naturally just old souls. It's just that Cha Chi-soo ain't no old soul.

I mean, even high school girls don’t want to date high school boys, and they’re stuck in a building with them all day.  

That being said, I did appreciate the army time jump.  Two years apart is a REALLY GOOD THING for these two.  Particularly Cha Chi-Soo.  This is a situation where the time jump not only works but is necessary.  Dude needs time to grow up. Time apart will only serve to confirm their feelings.  

So, I can recommend this drama for someone looking for light and fluffy.  There is blessedly little in the way of suffering and melodrama so you can just zone out for a while and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment