Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Korean Rom Coms

I've been taking a little break from my regular dramas because I've been on a Korean rom-com binge.  I'll talk a little about what I've been watching and my opinions.  I'm not going to do a movie review because that really isn't my thing.  People who write those always seem to have a much better handle on storytelling through film than I have.  I just have opinions.


She's On Duty -  Wow, talk about your missed opportunities. Kim Sun-ah, Gong-yoo, you'd think this was made in heaven. Instead it just felt flat. 
It's not that the leads didn't have chemistry.  There were a couple of scenes where you could see that they did.  I think the problem lay with the murky storytelling and the directing.  The rhythm was off and it just seemed to jump from scene to scene but without any emotional weight, if that makes any sense.  It was like: this happens, then this happens, then this happens. Also Gong-yoo was tragically (TRAGICALLY) underused. Sigh!  Though there are some fun fight scenes.


Tropes that sucked me in:  High School all over again, secret identities, bad-ass chicks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment