Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dude, Where's My Bus?

So Mary Stayed Out All Night.  Yeahhhh.  That drama sucked.  Which is weird because the pieces were so great. 


I even like Jang Geun-seok's hair




 I couldn't get this bus song out of my head:


More after the jump...




So why wasn't it better?




It's like cooking.  Sometimes you have a recipe that comes with a gorgeous picture, the ingredients are all your favorites.  You go shopping and buy all the best ingredients and you go home and follow the recipe to the letter.  It even looks and smells delicious.  Then you eat it. And it's just--no.  Maybe it's too bland.  Maybe the texture is just not quite right or there's a weird aftertaste.  But this is not good and you realize you wasted a lot of time and money on something that's just going to go into the trash and now you're stuck eating cereal for dinner.


This drama is just like that. The leads had great chemistry and that's like catching lightning in a bottle.  I believe they were trying as hard as they could to sell the story to the audience.  The music was pretty good too, although somewhat overplayed. I think if I hear that "My Precious" song one more time my ears will fall off in self defense.  (Although it admittedly was not quite as bad as "Paaaaradiiiiiiiiise" from Boys Over Flowers.)


But the writing sucked.  They even changed writers in an attempt to salvage the situation, but by then it was too late.  The drama was being held hostage by three of the worst parents in k-drama history.  And as we all know, k-dramas are known for the worst parents on the planet.  I mean, the drama I'm watching now, the dad just tried to run his kid over with a bus


So the plotting was terrible and all the cute moments between Mary and Mu-gyul in the world weren't going to save it.


So here's my hope:  Maybe the Hong Sisters will come up with an awesome idea and Jang Geun-seok and Moon Geun-young will get a chance to really work that great chemistry of theirs in a drama that's better suited to their talents.  Cross your fingers.







2 comments:

  1. I hate his hair in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The running gag about how important his hair was to him was cute though.

    ReplyDelete