Friday, April 13, 2012

Hong Sisters Take on Freaky Friday

Dramabeans had an update today on the new Hong Sisters drama "Big".  The casting of Gong Yoo has been confirmed, as well as the main plotline. Instead of remaking the Tom Hanks movie, this will involve a body swap, a la Freaky Friday, between and 18-year-old and Gong Yoo's character of an adult engaged businessman.  

more after the jump...




I loved Gong Yoo in Coffee Prince and this will be his first television drama since he finished his national service.  I'm a big fan of the Hong Sisters, although they tend to be writers that everyone either loves or hates.  According to the Dramabeans article I referenced above, there is a backlash against the Hong Sisters which on reflection I don't find all that surprising.  After all, they've been in the business for quite a while and have had their dramas produced at a pretty steady clip.  That kind of success can also come with the danger of wearing out your audience.


For me, I was totally excited to see the Hong Sisters coming up with another drama so soon after Greatest Love (which I adored).  Gong Yoo is an extremely talented actor (who's not too hard on the eyes, either).  So I was surprised at myself for the lack of excitement I feel about this project.  I think my reticence lies in the fact that there is a serious glut of fantasy in kdramaland at the moment and body swapping is a big part of that.  Secret Garden and 49 Days weren't that long ago.  


I'll be looking forward to seeing what the Hong Sisters do with the premise, but I don't think I'll be watching this one real time like I am with King2Hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment