Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Issues with Flower Boy Ramen Shop




So I’m watching Flower Boy Ramen Shop  right now and although it has funny moments I’m not finding that I love it to the degree that others have. 

 Spoilers after the jump...



First, I wasn’t aware of the student teacher angle before I started.  My first reaction to a student teacher  relationship is that it’s wrong.  End of story.  On reflection, I decided that Cha Chi-soo is the one with power in this relationship so, in spite of Eun-bi’s age and position as his teacher, Chi-soo can (and does) get her fired at any time due to his unique position as the son of the school’s owner.  Furthermore, they met before she started as a student-teacher and her supposition that he is an adult around her own age sets up a dynamic that is a little more understandable.  

I think my squeamishness about the storyline comes from the rash of scandals in recent years here in the United States of female teachers targeting young boys for molestation.  In the U.S. we have an ongoing argument in regard to whether or not these boys are victims or willing participants.  Let me make it clear that I come down firmly on the side of victim, due to the inherent power imbalance of the student-teacher relationship.  

However, I went to college with a number of education majors and, at least at that time, the possibility that a student-teacher might have to deal with attraction to a student was never remotely addressed by the professors.  When my friends went out into their teaching internships, they dealt with this stuff on their own or with the support of their friends.    

Why is this an issue to be addressed?  Well, one of my friends was a 21 year old teaching intern  and had 20 year old boys in her classes.  In the U.S. you can attend public school until you are 21 years old.  I knew a guy in my high school who had a heart attack in gym class his sophomore year and he was 20 when he finally graduated. Fail a couple of grades and you can be the same age as your teacher.  So managing your own emotions and those of your students would be a pretty handy skill to have. 

Where I’m hoping the story is going is that Chi-soo and Eun-bi learn something from each other and then move on in their lives, all the better for having known each other and full of fond memories.  They are at completely different times in their lives.  This show is going to have to really sell me  on them as an OTP (as in, give Chi-soo a personality transplant) for me to buy them as a couple.

 The other reason I have a problem with them as a couple was the scene where Chi-soo and Eun-bi are fighting in the hallway at the school and Chi-soo raises his hand to hit her.  Oh hell no.  He was stopped by Kang-hyuk grabbing his arm, but the intent was there.  Like I said, this kid will need a personality transplant for me to get over him physically threatening 
1. Anyone 
2. His teacher 
3. An adult 
4. A much smaller woman.   
And I don’t care that she bounced a volleyball off his head, either.  

 For the first time I think I’ve contracted Second Lead Syndrome.  

If you have an opinion, let me know what you think in the comments...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment